Welcome to Whisky Country
Dornoch is strategically located amongst the finest whisky distilleries in the world. Glenmorangie and Balblair are just outside Dornoch, whilst Brora, Clynelish, Dalmore, Old Pulteney, Wolfburn and Muir of Ord are short lovely drives away.
We also strongly recommend a Whisky Tasting at the historic Carnegie Whisky Cellars just 5 minutes walk in the Carnegie Courthouse. And there is a Dornoch Whisky Festival every October.
The Carnegie Whisky Cellars is amongst the finest independent whisky and gin specialist retailer in Scotland. Located in the historic and recently renovated Dornoch Courthouse, the Carnegie Whisky Cellars opened in 2016 and offers an exceptional range of Scotland’s finest whiskies, gins and related products. The Cellars also hosts a beautiful historic tasting room in the former Sheriffs’ document vault.
Below are some of our local Whisky Distilleries
The Glenmorangie Distillery is visible from Dornoch, located on the south shore of the Dornoch Firth. Founded in 1843 and with the tallest stills in Scotland, Glenmorangie has become a leading Single Malt brand. They were one of the first Distilleries to recognise the value of Extra-Maturation, transferring spirit first matured in former Bourbon casks, to former wine casks, to gain further flavour.
Glenmorangie is 6 miles south of Links House.
This Distillery was founded in 1790 and is known for bottling in Vintages. It is owned by Inver House Distillers, who also own Old Pulteney, which is based in the northern town of Wick.
Balblair is 7 miles south of Links House.
Founded in 1819 and currently owned by Diageo, as much as 95% of its whisky has been used in the Blended Johnny Walker product, especially the Gold Label Reserve. Clynelish also houses the older Brora Distillery. Clynelish is co-located with the older Brora Distillery, which is currently being renovated and will re-open again in 2020.
Clynelish is 18 miles north of Links House.
Owned by Whyte & Mackay and located on the banks of the Cromarty Firth, Dalmore is another powerhouse Single Malt, easily recognised by the silver embossed Stag’s head on each bottle.
Dalmore is 23 miles south of Links House.
Founded in 1838 by Robert Johnstone and Donald MacLennan, Glen Ord Distillery is located in historic Muir of Ord, and is the only Whisky Distillery on the Black Isle.
Glen Ord Distillery is 40 miles south of Links House.
Located north in Wick, Old Pulteney Distillery and tasting room was opened in 1826 and offers an array of award-winning whiskies. The distillery sources water from an old mill lade constructed by renowned architect Thomas Telford.
Old Pulteney is 63 miles north of Links House.
Founded in 1821, Wolfburn Distillery was closed in the 1850’s and reopened in 2013. Located in Thurso, Wolfburn launched its first bottling in 2016 and went on to win three gold medal awards in consecutive international competitions.
Wolfburn is located 69 miles north of Links House.